Toyin Saraki is my big sister - Omolew Ahmed, Kwara Governor's wife says

Toyin Saraki is my big sister - Omolew Ahmed, Kwara Governor's wife says

You started a charity foundation, Life Empowered Anchors Hope (LEAH) on assumption of office. Looking back, what have you done so far in the last five years? When we assumed office in 2011, we normally organised Children's Day party for the underprivileged and not for children of political office holders. It has been the norm of this office to take such get-together to rural communities in the state with all those things our children are enjoying in the city. These include bouncing castles, electric trains, fun characters to show our love and encourage them to aspire to be whatever they want to be and live a better life than how they live presently. We�ve had series of programmes for the physically-challenged in the areas of empowerment, educational sponsorship, vocational training and have equipped them with materials needed for their trade. We've done quite a bit for adults as we try to take them off the streets through empowerment programmes. We find out what they love doing and empower them to get formal training and equip them to be self sustainable. From the performances at this year's get-together, talents were exhibited by the physically-challenged and disabled school children, how do you hope to develop these talents further? I was encouraged and carried away by the prowess of the children when they were singing. We intend to tap into some of the professionals you saw there and develop their talents. We did something like this in 2012 when we had our first edition of Reading Camp where some talents were discovered when they had command performance of Sango for the governor. He couldn't believe they were children from public schools in the state. With what happened on May 27, we will be working with Special Assistant to the Governor on Social Welfare because of his affiliation with Nollywood to tap the goodwill of some practitioners to develop the kids' talents. Can we know the number of assisted kids and how far have you gone on Child Rights Implementation Act? I can't specifically tell how many children we have assisted. Our acronym, LEAH, is Life Empowered Anchors Hope, and our slogan is 'touch a life positively'. We try to assist every one we come across, except we cannot afford or there's nothing we could do about such case and which is rare. We try as much as possible not to leave you the way we met you. We�ve empowered people with deep freezers, grinding machine and sewing machines. We have set up physically-challenged people in shoe-making business. On the issue of Child abuse and child rights act, we are already working. A committee is about to be put in place to work on violence against persons, both male and female. We are already working with the Ministry of Social Welfare in that regard. We want to embark on massive advocacy and ultimately we have a home for victims. Last year, we produced a movie, entitled, Delima, which was nominated in Ghana Movie Award in best shot film category. It talked about ills of child abuse in our society. Our next port of call is to be committed to lots of advocacy with community and religious leaders. How are you looking at collaboration with government on actualising your programmes? There is so much we can do as a Non Government Organisation, but I try to collaborate with private NGOs that are into taking care of these children while also encouraging the groups to be involved with state ministries through registration so that these children can have access to whatever is coming from government. We will advise government to accord them more priority as we�ve seen that these children have great potentials in them. The state Commissioner for Women Affairs announced provision of mobility aids for physically challenged, how soon will these be available? It's state government programme as the Commissioner for Women Affairs has said. This is in the pipeline. But as a mother, I will lend a voice to see that the programme is carried out. Kwara people see you as a caring mother, philanthropist and their wife, how do you see them? (laughter) Ah! How do I see Kwara people? Kwara is home. They are my people. You know, it is not really about where one comes from. It doesn't matter the colour, tribe or religion. What matters is that you are a person, and that I can add value to you and you can add value to me. I see this office as a privilege, an assignment. I'm driven by the fact that I am accountable. For me, it is not really about Kwara people, but the assignment of being a governor's wife and privilege God has given me to do the best as much as God will give me the ability. What's the relationship between you and your predecessor, Mrs Toyin Saraki? Mrs Toyin Saraki is my big sister. We share so much, much more beyond politics. I respect and honour her as I am always grateful to God for bringing her to my life because she's been a source of blessing to me. I cannot forget the fact that when my husband was nominated, she took me through an orientation course, telling me her own experiences. Sometimes, I do some things and she reaches out to me, 'Lewa, (that's what she calls me), do you remember when we were driving to the airport or so so place, and you said so so things'. There are things she had told me that had helped to shapen my work and activities. One thing that has been outstanding to me is that the office of the wife of the governor is a call to responsibility and not a lifestyle which I have held on to. What's your assessment of President Muhammadu Buhari's administration on women affairs so far? Nigerian women are in support of PMB's administration as they campaigned for him to win. He�s giving women the opportunity to express themselves. He has a lot of cerebral women in his cabinet who, I believe, will not let Nigerians down. His wife, Hajia Aishat, has also been encouraging us. There are a lot of collaborations even between the governors' wives and her office. We have a forum where we discuss our programmes, things we want to do and we encourage one another on activities that are going on in our respective states. After your stewardship, how would you like Kwara people to remember you? I will like to be remembered as a woman who came and really made a difference.

Toyin Saraki is my big sister - Omolew Ahmed, Kwara Governor's wife says

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Young Nigerian girl shares after-s.ex video with her boyfriend in a hotel

VIDEO: YOUNGLUCK – Gbemidebe (Official Video)